Diamondbacks Place Ketel Marte On Restricted List

The Arizona Diamondbacks placed second baseman Ketel Marte on the restricted list on Monday, August 17, 2026, after he failed to report to Fenway Park for the series opener against the Boston Red Sox. Manager Torey Lovullo cited an undisclosed personal matter, noting that Marte remains physically healthy but had been absent without clear communication.

Sudden Absence at Fenway Park

The Diamondbacks arrived in Boston on Sunday night with the expectation that Ketel Marte would be available for the Monday series opener. However, the organization’s plans shifted dramatically when the star second baseman failed to appear at the ballpark. The team delayed the release of its official lineup until approximately 15 minutes before the first pitch in a final attempt to account for his arrival, eventually slotting in Ildemaro Vargas at second base and placing Lars Nootbaar in the designated hitter role.

Reports confirmed that Marte had traveled to Boston with the team, his whereabouts remained uncertain following his no-show. Arizona general manager Mike Hazen acknowledged the situation briefly, stating, It was unfortunate that he wasn’t there tonight, according to MLB.com.

Managerial Reaction and Clubhouse Impact

Manager Torey Lovullo addressed the media postgame, expressing both frustration and personal concern. Lovullo described a lack of communication from the player throughout the day, noting that despite his efforts to reach out, he received little response. It’s been a crazy day, Lovullo said. All I know is that he’s dealing with a personal issue. We’re trying to figure that out, and he didn’t show up today and he was put on the restricted list. That’s as much as I know right now.

“We deal with a lot as baseball managers and coaches and teachers. So, you know, sometimes you get disappointed, sometimes you get let down. But we’re going to figure out how to work through this.”

Torey Lovullo, Diamondbacks Manager

Shortstop Geraldo Perdomo, a close teammate of Marte, emphasized a family-first approach to the locker room culture. I just came here to play, and I didn’t see him here and we haven’t talked yet, Perdomo told reporters. At the end of the day, we are a family and we’re going to support everybody, no matter what.

Read more:  что нужно знать перед получением лидера La Roche Vendée

Contractual Status and Previous Absences

The restricted list is a mechanism for players under contract who are unable to perform due to non-injury, personal, or legal reasons. During this time, players are not compensated and do not accrue service time. This is not the first time the Diamondbacks have placed Marte on the restricted list; in 2025, he missed time following a burglary at his home in Arizona, a situation that led to an unexcused trip to the Dominican Republic and subsequent public apology.

Ketel Marte #4 of the Arizona Diamondbacks
Photo: Arizonasports

Postseason Implications for Arizona

The loss of Marte comes at a critical juncture for the Diamondbacks, who are fighting for a National League Wild Card berth. Entering the Monday game with a 66-60 record, the team sits within one game of a postseason position. To fill the vacancy on the active roster, the club recalled infielder Jose Fernandez from Triple-A Reno.

Diamondbacks Place Ketel Marte On Restricted List
Photo: The New York Times
Diamondbacks Place Ketel Marte On Restricted List

Читайте также

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.