The Pentagon’s casualty database shows 774 U.S. service members have been wounded or killed in the Iran war. This total includes 18 deaths and 756 injuries, reflecting recent updates to the Defense Casualty Analysis System even as the two nations observe a largely holding ceasefire.
The total count of American military casualties resulting from the conflict with Iran has climbed to 774 service members, according to updates in the Pentagon’s official tracking records. Out of that cumulative figure, the Defense Casualty Analysis System records 18 military personnel killed and 756 wounded since the conflict began. The upward adjustment arrives despite a general lull in active hostilities marked by a recent ceasefire between Washington and Tehran.
Some of the newly added service member records account for a lag time between an injury occurring in the field and its formal documentation entering the military medical and casualty reporting infrastructure. More than 750 US service members have been wounded since the United States launched its war against Iran on February 28, according to the Defense Department’s casualty database. The Pentagon updated its Defense Casualty Analysis System (DCAS) on Wednesday, recording more than 50 additional wounded service members as negotiations between Washington and Tehran remain deadlocked.
Casualty Tracking Categories and Timeline Shifts
The conflict formally initiated on February 28. Within the Pentagon’s tracking architecture, casualties are parsed across multiple designations. When combining figures listed under Overseas Operations
with those recorded under Operation Epic Fury, according to the DCAS database, 18 US service members have been killed and 757 wounded since the start of the war.
The tracking system itself has experienced administrative adjustments throughout the campaign. The Defense Department created the Overseas Operations
category in the DCAS database last month to record service members killed or wounded starting July 7.
That specific date corresponds with the Trump administration’s notification to Congress that a new war on Iran had begun under the War Powers Act.
The Pentagon has previously faced scrutiny over its reporting of US casualties during the war. In July, the number of service members listed as killed and wounded in the DCAS database declined even as Iranian attacks continued, with four deaths and dozens of injuries temporarily disappearing from the figures. The Defense Department attributed the changes to temporary data disruptions
in a social media post at the time. According to CNN, the Pentagon has also been slow to disclose wounded US service members throughout the conflict, with officials citing security concerns.
Diplomatic Stalling and Supply Pressures in the Strait of Hormuz
The latest casualty figures come as diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran remain stalled. US President Donald Trump said Wednesday that the situation with Iran was “so good,” even as his administration paused negotiations with Tehran and tensions continued around the Strait of Hormuz. The waterway remains a major point of tension amid the ongoing war, as it continues to factor into efforts to reach an agreement and end the fighting.
Global fuel supplies are also coming under increasing pressure as the war on Iran and the confrontation surrounding the Strait of Hormuz disrupt crude and refined fuel flows. CNN reported Wednesday that the disruption has expanded from an oil supply shock into a broader fuel crisis affecting gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel markets.
“This is man-bites-dog news. The market is screaming that we’re short,”
Bob McNally, founder and president of Rapidan Energy Group, told CNN.
With negotiations deadlocked and regional transit chokepoints remaining vulnerable, both military planners and energy markets face persistent uncertainty as the conflict continues.
Читайте также

