More than two decades after the franchise began, a third National Treasure film starring Nicolas Cage is finally in development. Director Jon Turteltaub announced on August 21, 2026, during a live podcast recording in Philadelphia, that Disney has said it sounds like a movie we can make for the long-awaited sequel.
Director Jon Turteltaub Confirms National Treasure 3 in Philadelphia
Fans gathered at the Philadelphia Visitor Center on August 21, 2026, for the city’s first National Treasure weekend when director Jon Turteltaub delivered unexpected news to a live audience recording the National Treasure Hunt podcast. The announcement marked the first time the director had publicly confirmed that a third installment was actively moving forward.
Initially, the crowd reacted with stunned disbelief, treating the revelation as if Turteltaub planned to repeat the plot of the 2004 original and steal the Declaration of Independence. Once the audience realized the director was serious, the room erupted into cheers and thunderous applause.
“It’s happening. You’re the first people I’ve said this out loud to. I have not said anything before this, but you deserve to have the scoop. It’s finally real. Now, it’s ‘Hollywood real,’ meaning things could happen. Nic gets hit by a bus, there’s no National Treasure 3. If I get hit by a bus, there’s probably a National Treasure 3. Welcome to Hollywood.”
Jon Turteltaub, Director
An Approved Script and Disney’s Green Light
The project moved past years of development limbo after the creative team landed on a story treatment that satisfied both the filmmaker and the studio. Franchise producer Jerry Bruckheimer has also given the script his blessing, according to social media updates from the podcast hosts.
The original 2004 film, which followed Nicolas Cage as historian Ben Gates racing against his former colleague Ian to uncover an ancient Freemason treasure, grossed $347 million at the global box office. Its 2007 sequel, National Treasure: Book of Secrets, expanded the global haul to $459 million. Together, the first two features surpassed $800M at the global box office.
Navigating Modern Politics and Returning Cast Plans
Speaking about the nearly two-decade gap since the second film, Turteltaub pointed to the evolving political climate in the United States as a factor that slowed down subsequent writing efforts. He recounted an unexpected phone call from former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who requested a private screening for Congress because lawmakers on both sides of the aisle viewed the patriotic themes of the movies through starkly polarized lenses.
Photo: Deadline
Turteltaub emphasized that the new script must address these divisions without alienating viewers.
“We have to be very careful, but I don’t feel we are allowed to ignore it. I think we have to include that idea in the story somehow without making someone feel put off.”
Photo: Inquirer.com
Jon Turteltaub, Director
Regarding the cast, Turteltaub confirmed plans to bring back familiar faces to whatever extent we can, with Nicolas Cage expected to return. The franchise previously attempted a small-screen expansion with the Disney+ series National Treasure: Edge of History in 2022, which featured guest appearances from original cast members Justin Bartha and Harvey Keitel but was canceled after a single season.
While Disney declined to comment when reached by trade reporters, and no official casting announcements or filming start dates have been released, the public confirmation of an approved script signals that Benjamin Gates is officially returning to the big screen.